University Studies

Majors, Minors, Careers

I have no clue what I want. What should I do?

The major I want is restricted. What does that mean?


  • Restricted majors require you to meet specific requirements before applying.  These requirements may include taking specific courses, achieving a specific minimum grade point average, completing an application, appearing for an interview, attending a group meeting, or applying to transfer to the major during a specific time period.  Make sure to discuss your intended major with your advisor; it is your responsibility to know if the major you intend is restricted. 

  • Meeting the minimum requirements for application DOES NOT guarantee acceptance into the major: some majors also have limits on the number of transfers they can accept, so only the applicants with the best qualifications are accepted (best performance in major-related courses, best overall GPAs, etc.). Acceptance into these majors is very competitive.
  • See your academic advisor for more assistance.

I have decided on my major. How do I change into it?


  • Restricted majors: Review restricted majors website for minimum requirements. Then complete an application and any other requirements.
  • Non-restricted Majors: Go to the academic department's office for the major that you want to transfer into and complete a change of major form. To complete this form, you must get the signature of the new major's dean and advisor. After getting the form correctly signed, bring it to the University Studies office in 117 Femoyer for processing.
  • See advisor if you have questions regarding your major's "change of major" process.

But I want to study another area as well. What is a minor?


  • Definition of a minor .
  • For more information, go to the department offering the minor.

Note: Minors are not required for degree completion at Virginia Tech.

I am unhappy in my current major. What are my options?

University Studies offers transitional advising assistance to undergraduate students who are not in University Studies.  If one or more of these statements describe you, click here for instructions for making an appointment. (Note: ALL transitional advising takes place in Pritchard Hall)

  • you did not get accepted to a restricted major
  • your interests have changed and you are no longer interested in the major in which you are currently enrolled
  • your major and/or occupational choice is unclear and you need help in clarifying and deciding on options
  • you are not meeting academic requirements for your current major